Sunday, April 22, 2012

Thing #18

Here is my Twitter account link: https://twitter.com/#!/ashton_ishing
And my Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1073794591

     Social Networking is the best way to share ideas and events that are going on in your classroom, school or community. Teachers need to be up to date on the latest technologies in their students' lives. Also if students see in class that they can use these sites for educational resources, it will make them more enthusiastic about doing their work and sharing their findings.

     From our previous LiveText assignment, I am already following several educational Twitter accounts. Everyday they have interesting facts, and links to current educational issues, and events that I like to check out. Even following Austin Peays accounts on twitter lets me know when things are going on around campus so these should work at a lower level too. I'm not sure that I found anything really new since I have had a Facebook and Twitter for quite a while now.

     I like both Twitter and Facebook equally and have found that they have great features. You can have groups on Facebook, and can "favorite" a tweet on Twitter and you will always have it to go back and look at. Twitter has a page that shows current issues also, but I think facebook is more universal and easier to navigate in a classroom setting.

     I think for classroom applications a Facebook page would be best for a certain class to have, or a group of students to start one for a project or assignment or something like that. At the school I transferred from I had created a group where I friended all of the freshmen that would be coming there in the fall and updated the page for events and class dues and due dates! It felt like a pretty big accomplishment to me and the response was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment