Monday, April 23, 2012

Thing #19

     I found that Teacher pop was a little like facebook in that you can add photos and leave comments on other members' walls. I uploaded a picture of myself and Cody to the site and commented on my friend Kayla's wall. I tried to get the badge, but my embedding code would work so I gave up! The social communities that I am currently a part of are: Blogger, TeacherPop, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Project Playlist, and IMDB. The new site I chose to join was GoodReads, since I plan on teaching English and I love to read a lot anyway. During registration it has you select your favorite genres of books, and then rate some in each category. It will then automatically give you several new books that are similar to the ones you give good ratings too. You also have the option of selecting "want to read" so you can have a sort of wish list. It will then give you recommendations based on your ratings. I really enjoyed this sight and I think it would be helpful for students who need help finding a book to read on their own. I will try and remember this site to help students who don't like reading so much, or don't know where to look get a head start!

     I also checked out Craftster, and found some neat ideas for the classroom. There are two other sites that I am a part of that I really enjoy finding things to do in the classroom. They are Pinterest and etsy. Pinterest is a board of "pins" from all kinds of users, that give craft ideas, and videos where etsy is more of crafts to buy and sell, but you can choose to search locally so you can pick up things for your students or classroom without leaving town!



I found this personalized hall pass hanger on etsy by typing in "classroom" in the search bar for $40. It will last a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment