Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thing #12

     I have just signed up for some google alerts which are really cool! Similar to an RSS feed you have the information sent straight to you instead of having to search each term on a constant basis. I just picked 4 things that interest me for right now, but I am sure that my list will grow! Here is a link to the alerts I have signed up for so far: Ashton's Google Alerts

     The NY Times Best-seller alert is for my personal interest in reading popular books, but can also be used in a literature classroom for independent reading selections. I chose the US Olympic Team alert because it is going to be a current event at some point during your teaching career, and students like to know about it.
     I really enjoyed the iGoogle creator. I had no idea that you could to that. It kind of reminds me of the widgets and gadgets you get once you sign into APSU OneStop. Its personalized with new information every day which keeps it fresh. You could really use this in a classroom, if you wanted students to check the weather every day or find a news article to present. I thought the them I chose was so cute too. It's night time so my little froggy is asleep on the top of the screen! Maybe he will wake up in the morning. iGoogle

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I love google alerts - it can be a great way to find out if people are mentioning you/your site, too! I'm signed up for alerts when my site or brand gets mentioned ... makes it very handy because you might never know otherwise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about getting an alert about myself! But,I bet it does come in handy :) Thank you, and your site looks neat! when I get some free time I plan on looking at it more in depth!

    ReplyDelete